The human body’s natural pH is approximately 7.4 and similar to our body temperature, the slightest increase or decrease can cause noticeable effects. Red wine tends to fall between 3.3 to 3.6. Although it provides great benefits to your blood and heart, it’s just as acidic as soda.
This acidity is due to sulfite, the second most important ingredient in winemaking. Sulfite provides a perfect environment for fermentation, killing any harsh bacteria, fungi and mold that grow in the barrel. But this fertile environment doesn’t change after being bottled or opened. The reaction that takes place in your digestive system affects 8% of all Americans. This causes immediate and noticeable changes such as headaches, itchy skin and sweaty face or hands. In some cases, sulfite can result in more serious conditions such as IBS and joint pain.